The Government of Mongolia, Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) has been implementing a three-year project entitled “Building Capacity to Advance National Adaptation Plan Process in Mongolia”. The UN Environment Programme is the Delivery Partner for the project, with the role of supporting and overseeing the project implementation. The NAP project will support multi-sectoral, medium- to long-term adaptation planning and budgeting in Mongolia and promote the integration of climate change adaptation aspects into development policies.
The MET is looking for successful candidates for the following position:
Position: National Technical Advisor
Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Duration: 9 Months
Application deadline: March 2, 2022
The National Technical Advisor will work under the overall supervision of the National Coordinator and Project Director (NC/NPD). The National Technical Advisor’s role will cover the technical part of the building capacity to advance the NAP process in Mongolia project.
The National Technical Advisor will report to NC/NPD. He/she will support the NC/NPD in implementing the project’s technical aspects in daily operations. The National Technical Advisor will work in close cooperation with other PIU staff and implementing agency. He/she will make inputs to deliver outcomes of the project, especially those related to the technical issues.
The scope of work
Under direct supervision of the National Project Director/ Coordinator, the Advisor is responsible for executing and drafting technical activities such as preparation of draft terms of reference of the technical experts, maintenance and of technical reports by consultants/ organizations, assisting in the preparation of the background information wherever required, reviewing the work and deliverables by consultants, representing Technical Committee and Advisor at the project counterpart organizations (when NC is not available), etc.
- Assist in the provision of technical support for the project’s activities in accordance with the project proposal and approved annual work plan and budget;
- Assist NC/NPD on effective coordination of the technical consultants, working groups by monitoring the implementation of the work plan and evaluating tasks related to deliverables of the project;
- Provide technical support to NC/NPD on project activities by handling in the development of mechanisms for the reporting and monitoring of project activities and their deliverables;
- Prepare assessments, reports and collect data and information as required to support technical activities;
- Assist in drafting relevant requirements of contracts, including by planning and coordinating with relevant stakeholders;
- Assist in drafting any official request related to MET by assisting in the updating and improvement of the project work plan;
- Provide support in the preparation of presentations at the project meetings/ stakeholder workshops;
- Assist the project’s daily technical operations, including development and maintenance of project-specific files pertaining to the NAP process of Mongolia, ensure smooth flow of the consulting services and informing/ suggesting NC/NPD on timely identified challenges/ solutions;
- Assist in the fulfillment of the PIU’s obligations as secretariat for the Project Steering Committee and Technical Committee, including by preparing meeting summaries and logistical arrangements for project activities.
- Prepare drafts of the annual/ biannual technical reports to UNEP, MET following the given formats;
- Whenever required make written and oral translation of the activities specifically technical parts;
- Arrange the organization of annual project workshops and meetings e.g., Project Steering Committee and Technical Committee meetings, by planning, developing, and managing internal procedures for an efficient flow of information;
- Perform other relevant duties if required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or Ph.D.) in Environmental Sciences, meteorology or climate change and other relevant fields;
- A minimum of eight to ten years of experience in the above or related fields in scenario running and modeling;
- Demonstrated understanding of climate change and commitment to climate change adaptation;
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work with multi-stakeholders including government agencies, both at national and sub-national levels;
- Proven skills in excellent communication and networking;
- Excellent planning and organizing skills, accurate with attention to detail, and prioritization;
- Able to work as part of a multi-national team;
- Excellent knowledge of English and fluent in Mongolian; /Please refer IELTS or TOEFL score/
- High computer literacy, knowledge of spatial and modeling packages is an asset;
The following documents are required to be submitted by hand in a sealed envelope to the Ministry of Environment and Tourism before the deadline.
- Application cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- A copy of your national ID
- At least 2 (two) reference letters or performance assessments from previous and/or current employers /in English/
- Copies of diplomas and academic transcripts.
- Please note that incomplete applications would not be considered
- The submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants
- Post is advertised for Mongolian nationals only
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Margad Center Room 303, 7-khoroo, Sukhbaatar district, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Tel: 976- 77091142,
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION: 17:00, Wednesday, March 2, 2022